Suggested Donations for Families
Housewarming Gift Ideas:
Many groups like to bring something to offer to the family for whom they are building. These gifts should be practical and not too expensive. Although you can be generous please do not overdo it. This will avoid feelings of unfairness and disappointment within the community and may make it easier for you to cross the border. If you are stopped at the border items such as used clothing can create delays.
The houses we build are basic but adequate. If you would like to make the house a bit more special you could choose to provide one or two of the following:
- A 5 gallon bucket or 5 one gallon buckets of “OOPS” light colored interior paint/primer combination with which to paint the interior of the house. “OOPS” paint is $30 for a 5 gallon bucket and “10.00 for a one gallon bucket at Home Depot or Lowes.
- Window rods and curtains (can be hand made from any material). One 2 x 2, three 2 x 3. Simple rods are $1.50 at Home Depot.
- Shelves or some kind of lightweight shelving unit.
Suggested Food Items to choose from:
- Dried Pinto Beans
- Bag of Rice
- Cooking Oil
- Canned tomatoes/tomato sauce, kernel corn(not creamed), refried or black beans, tuna fish, Jalepenos
- Cereal (Healthy Varieties)
- Packages of chicken flavored ramen noodles
- Powdered drinks (Tang etc.)
- Kitchen utensils
- Cleaning supplies including laundry liquid
- Toilet paper
- Home Depot and Costco sell small folding tables for $39.99, these are very much appreciated if you wish to go for a bigger gift.
- The Dollar store sells inexpensive sets of dishes and pots and pans.
- Gently used second hand items are very welcome.
PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE ALL JUST SUGGESTIONS. IF ANYONE WISHES TO CHOOSE TO BRING ANYTHING FROM THE LIST IT WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED. WE WOULD SIMPLY APPRECIATE FOOD IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO PROVIDE ANYTHING ELSE.